Thursday, April 17, 2008

Some skepticism for thought- Unfairness and clicheability

Unfairness.

How many jobs in the world wouldn't exist if things/people were fair? Houses shouldn't burn down, or if they should, they should, so no firemen/women. Movies would be returned, grades wouldn't be questionable, congress wouldn't be necessary. My conclusion is this: the single unifying factor of life is unfairness. Though anything can be debated around in circles and beaten to death with mental logic, cognitive reasoning, rationalizations, intellect, philosophy (here is just another example of my point) Things are rarely, if ever, fair. This tangent actually brings me to my next point- clicheness.

Clicheness

People always think they are so damn original. My favorite is the circular reasoning trap. SO many historical figures and prominent people fall prey to this crap, in an effort to sound profound, intelligent, and insightful. Really, they have said nothing. Ever heard circular reasoning discussed in a classroom? You may have been told a supporting claim, for example, is not relevant or useful because it is circular. For example, I have been told blondes are "dumb," and oh so sweetly reminded of my blondeness. To which I might respond, "Give me an example. Why am I dumb?" The circular answer is, of course, because I'm blonde.

Circular reasoning in search of profound statements is equally useless. Let's go as far back as to Descartes' "I think, therefore I am" philosophy. How do you know you exist, Descartes?
"Because I think"
And how do you know you are doing the thinking, Descartes?
"Because it is me who exists," and so on.

I realize this example is a bit of a stretch, but go with me. Let's press on. JFK said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Sounds profound, right? Let me give you one more example. This one is purely an example of such a cliche constructed for the argument: "If you do not take care of your children, how can your children ever take care of you?"

Still impressed? The formula is simple. Take an expression. Anything that on it's own sounds great. Let's take an overused peice of advice, for example, "You must take control of your life." Whatever that means, is clearly speculative and individualized, but anyway, continuing on with the analogy. Take this expression, and say it once. Next, simply switch the subject/verb combinations in the sentence: "Your life must take control of you." Great. you're on your way. Now say each phrase, one after the other, and prepare to sound profound," You must take control of your life, or your life must take control of you." Genius.

If you should still choose to buy into and use such pointless expressions, at least do me and the rest of intelligent world a favor, and spare us the condescending tone. The truth is, you are not a genius for repeating it. Whoever came up with it is not a genius either. You are teaching noone anything and only flaunting a need to be seen as useful and deep. Trust me, and stop it now, or one of these days you will experience someone elses uncontrollable projectile vomit because of the profundity of your statement.