Monday, August 25, 2008

On Talking to the Boss

I hate having to do this. I'm a hard worker, and so in my mind there is always this understanding that I am a good employee, doing good work, and my boss is always thinking, "I'm so glad I hired her." Then one of two things happens:

Scenario one: Boss calls you into office and shuts door. Something embarrassing about dress code, personal phone calls, or emails ensues.

Scenario two: You need to talk to the boss. You need time off, are asking for a raise, discussing a coworker, what have you. Half this battle is getting the nerves to just knock on the office door and bringing the situation on yourself, so to speak.

I have had a job since I was 14. I have been through scenario one as I stumbled through learning all the ridiculous red tape associated with corporate America. Gag. I have been through scenario two when I felt a situation needed to be brought to the boss' attention. The latest was in college when two boys were crossing the line of comfort with some other coworkers.

Here's the thing. I am nice. Usually. But I DEFINATELY want my boss and coworkers (and even friends) to think I'm nice. It's true that I don't enjoy having to create a situation. In fact, I hate it. But I don't know that I can attribute all of that to just being nice. Some of it is self preservation too, I think.

You know what, I am not afraid of confrontation. At all. Bring it on. BUT if you are my boss, please just send me an email.